For Immediate Release: Monday, January 31, 2005
THE ALAN GUTTMACHER INSTITUTE CALLS FOR NOMINEES FOR ITS FIRST DARROCH AWARD
NOMINATIONS DUE APRIL 30, 2005
The Alan Guttmacher Institute, a leading authority on sexual and reproductive health and rights, is pleased to announce sponsorship of the Darroch Award and the first call for nominees. The Darroch Award, named after the distinguished former Senior Vice President of the Institute, Jacqueline E. Darroch, PhD, was initiated to heighten recognition of emerging leadership in the field of sexual and reproductive health research, especially as it applies to public policy and programs.
"Too often, unwise policy decisions are made with incomplete, inaccurate or no evidence at all. Sound, scientific evidence is essential for creating good and effective policies and programs, and researchers have a role and a responsibility in seeing that their findings get into the decision-making arena. I am honored that the Institute is recognizing this through the Darroch Award," according to Dr. Darroch, now Associate Director for Reproductive Health at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Candidates for the award should demonstrate excellence in research, as well as a dedication to practical application of their research in the field of sexual and reproductive health. Furthermore, candidates must have leadership experience and an innovative approach to methodology, analysis or communication of research findings. While there is no age, degree, geographical area of research, or country of residence requirement for the Darroch Award, nominees must have published at least five peer-reviewed articles or papers.
A committee of leaders in the sexual and reproductive health field will evaluate nominees:
- James Trussell, PhD, Director of the Office of Population Research, Princeton University;
- Amy Tsui, PhD, Director of the Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins University;
- James Wagoner, President of Advocates for Youth;
- Jacqueline E. Darroch, PhD, Associate Director for Reproductive Health, with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; and
- Susheela Singh, PhD, Vice President for Research and Beth Fredrick, Senior Vice President and COO, both with The Alan Guttmacher Institute.
The deadline for nominations is April 30, 2005. Download a here. For more information on the Darroch Award, please contact Ellen Smith at esmith (at) guttmacher.org.